Transactions in SharedCache

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Hi

I am using SharedCache for the first time and it has been great until now.  I have 2 questions about it that somebody might help me answering them.

1. Is SharedCache is transactional based ? I mean, what kind of granularity and locking does it apply when more than 1 client try to access the same Cache Item ? I just want to draw a anology of transactions between SharedCache and any other typical RDBMS product...like Sybase or Oracle. Is there any sample code that demonstrates the transactions in SharedCache ?

2. Does SharedCache implement indexed access to Cache Items when client inserts or deletes Cache Items ?

3. Does SharedCache supports in-line updates to any of existing Cache Item ? I mean, if I have to update the Cache Object for a given key, do I have to delete it first and inserts the updated object ? Or can I simply call any API which updates the object in the memory store itself ?

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thanks.

Santhosh

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM
- Shared Cache is not a Database so there is nothing you have to compare with - it reduces the queries to your database.
- its like a distribtuted hashtable
- you call the object over a key and you do whatever you have to do.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM, skvedula <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi

I am using SharedCache for the first time and it has been great until now. I have 2 questions about it that somebody might help me answering them.

1. Is SharedCache is transactional based ? I mean, what kind of granularity and locking does it apply when more than 1 client try to access the same Cache Item ? I just want to draw a anology of transactions between SharedCache and any other typical RDBMS product...like Sybase or Oracle. Is there any sample code that demonstrates the transactions in SharedCache ?

2. Does SharedCache implement indexed access to Cache Items when client inserts or deletes Cache Items ?

3. Does SharedCache supports in-line updates to any of existing Cache Item ? I mean, if I have to update the Cache Object for a given key, do I have to delete it first and inserts the updated object ? Or can I simply call any API which updates the object in the memory store itself ?

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thanks.

Santhosh

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SharedCache@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SharedCache@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Kind regards,
Roni Schuetz

speed up your .net app's - http://www.sharedcache.com/
Jul 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Roni

I agree that SharedCache is not like typical Database Server.

But, since it is like 'distributed' hash table that allows multiple concurrent clients to access, don't you think it could end up in concurrency issues ? --- like more than one client trying to access and update an item with same key...

From that perspective, I would like to know where SharedCache would stand  and find out if there is any 'transactional' aspect to it ?

I appreciate comments and suggestions if any, that you may have.

Thanks.

Santhosh

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM
to implement a dirty state on the object is quite easy, just need to transfer it back and forward + update the client. thats all :-)

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM, skvedula <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Roni

I agree that SharedCache is not like typical Database Server.

But, since it is like 'distributed' hash table that allows multiple concurrent clients to access, don't you think it could end up in concurrency issues ? --- like more than one client trying to access and update an item with same key...

From that perspective, I would like to know where SharedCache would stand and find out if there is any 'transactional' aspect to it ?

I appreciate comments and suggestions if any, that you may have.

Thanks.

Santhosh

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SharedCache@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SharedCache@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Kind regards,
Roni Schuetz

speed up your .net app's - http://www.sharedcache.com/