takeover sharedcache?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM
hi folks,

i wanted to raise the question if somebody would like to takeover control of sharedcache?

regards,
roni
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Roni, thank you for all the hard work that you have put in to this project, as it definitely fills a need for an open source .Net native distributed caching platform. I have only recently been getting acquainted with the SharedCache source, but I can tell alot of hard work and thought has been put into it. Since I am using SharedCache I have a strong interest that the product stays alive and up to date. I am willing to help out and help make that possible and hopefully with the help of others we can keep the project moving forward. I have been watching the developments of Velocity and Memcached for win32 closely and they still have some major gaps that SharedCache fills.

Are you looking for contributors to help with the development or for someone to take over the project entirely?

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM
Hi John,

first of all I'm happy to see you like Shared Cache - thanks.

I put much effort into Shared Cache in past 2 years, therefore today I'm not able to tell you how much day's, night, weekend and holiday I spent to make Shared Cache a real alternative for our .net community. I tried various times to communicate with Microsoft guru's about Shared Cache - I were not so successfully and got ignored because they had Velocity in the pipeline I believe. Even then I could develop a software component which gave the community a real alternative to all products which are available on the market and Shared Cache is faster then most of them and for sure its FREE. Shared Cache is used in a wide range of scenarios around the world and based on registrations and the download rate I get to the proud conclusion that I created a very useful component.

My problem today - I'm not able to manage by myself the needed load and give Shared Cache the attention it needs. Therefore I decided to open this discussion with everybody over here and to see what other people think about and what kind of ideas are coming up. My thoughts today are going in two main directions but even then I'm open for more idea's:

• fully takeover of Shared Cache by a private person, a group or even a company
  • if enough people commit themselves to help to make best out of shared cache - i could define them as developers, contributors and coordinators over here and shared cache would get open but somebody should declare himself to take the lead over Shared Cache.

I would love to see that Shared Cache keep alive in any way but one of my most important things if it's gone life - it hast to stay open source and free. If somebody plan to make additional stuff fore Shared Cache and earn money over such a channel I do not mind but the main engine has to be open source and free. 

thanks,
roni

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I am willing to take over the project with a commitment to keep it open source and free, if I can manage to get some additional help from the community for development. The potential for the direction of the project is huge and I have plenty of ideas for possible directions. I already am committed since I am using SharedCache now, and would rather take it over to help keep it alive than to have to start from scratch or manage my own closed fork.

Are there any other willing contributors? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
John
Developer
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM
I work with John and would be willing to contribute to the project, especially as its becoming important to our day job.
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM
hi john,

thanks for your feedback and your commitment. so far you're the first who reply to this discussion.

i added you now as coordinator and cfeduke as developer

lets see who else we can get into shared cache :-)

regrads,
roni
Developer
Apr 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Hello,
I would like to see SharedCache to improve and go on as I am using it in my project (with major modifications) . I would be willing to provide some development and advice help, but I have to say upfront my available time is limited.

Cheers
Ivan Bondy
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Thanks Roni, I will start getting more familiar with the codebase right away. My first course of action would certainly be around updating the sample tutorials, docs, and unit tests, unit tests, and more unit tests.

-John
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM
Hi Ivan,

thanks :-) i was wondering if you i gone hear from you, added you also as a developer.

regards,
roni    
Developer
Apr 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM
I'm a friend of cfeduke. I am willing to help out where possible.
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM
ctanner - Thanks, look forward to the help.

-John
Apr 17, 2009 at 12:42 AM
Hi Roni,

I just recently ran across sharedcache.com.  First off, congrats on creating a very nicely coded library.  Very clean and professional.  I'd be willing to help out as well.  This is absolutely required for the .net community, especially those people who don't want to be dependent upon MS lock-in.  I'd rather put energy into something like this than wait for a similar technology from MS, and the risks that go along with that (eg. vaporware, dead projects, bloat, overdesign, etc) .  So I'm totally behind this.  One thing that is popping out at me, however, as I'm becoming familiar with the code is a lack of documentation.  The code is documented, and it's clean, and there are *some* examples, but it's not enough.  If the community is going to grow it should be easy to come up to speed.  That said I'm only a day or so into the codebase.

Cheers,

Dave

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Hi Dave,

thanks for your feedback. We gone have next week a chat all togehter where we compile ideas how we get further with shared cache - if you like to join the meeting please send me your email over a private message.

regards,
roni