MergeSystem.Indexus.WinServiceCommon (why compiled for .NET 3.5?)

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM
The project MergeSystem.Indexus.WinServiceCommon is compiled for .NET Framework 3.5.
To target it to .NET Framework 2.0, just modify the project properties and remove (or comment) the System.Linq using statement (referenced in source files, but really not used).

Bye
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2008 at 10:54 AM
i'm planning to upgrade the whole solution to 3.5. currently people have requested to upgrade it and from my point of view there is nothing which prevents that. do you still use 2.0? maybe i can make 2 compilations and work with compilation commands so people can compile it easly for 2.0 or 3.5 once they download it and like to compile it. regards, roni    
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Dear All,

+1 on mantain 2.0 support fo a while.

In my case .NET is used to extend (plugins) a commercial application. Unfortunately their product lifecycle is based on 18 months periods and the last .net framework is never supported. In fact they lock the framework version so I can't even test it.

At least for the client component older .net framework support should be mantained.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM

hi,

i will try to keep this in mind for the upcoming release. in general it is very hard for us to test this. If you need both components compatible with .net 2.0 it will be even harder if its only the client this should be maintanable.

would you be able to help to test this?

regards, roni

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Hi,

Indeed I believe that there is no reason to anyone lock the server framework version since it is transparent to the client and all framework versions can live together in peace at the same machine. (one could blame having two framework requirements for the same system but as a Client/Server application it's not so hard to understand)

I'm building my application with SharedCache (2.0 framework), I can help testing or any other way you need.

Thanks,

Samuel

May 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Hi,

We have several .net applications still in 1.1 Framework. We are slowly moving them to 2.0 and 3.5, but 1.1 will still be around for a while.Do you know if it is possible to compile the client libraries in 1.1? Anyone tried?  Is the client-server communication protocol documented?

Thanks,
Jordi.